Wednesday, January 23, 2008

When I was pregnant with Sammy, I said NO WAY was I going to use cloth diapers. Who has time for that? And besides, daycare won't deal with cloth. But I said NO WAY to a lot of things that I now do regularly. The further I get into this mommyhood gig, the "crunchier" I get.

About a year ago, I started looking into cloth diapers. My main concern was the environmental impact of all the disposable diapers we were going through. I was also concerned about all the chemicals in disposables, and the cost of disposables. Sure, cloth diapers are a big upfront investment (especially since I decided on pocket diapers, which are one of the more expensive options) but after a couple of months, they've paid for themselves. And did you know that cloth diapers also have great resale value? Personally, I wouldn't want to buy used diapers for my kids (I wouldn't buy used underwear for myself!) but a lot of people do. So after we're done, I can sell them and get back a lot of my investment. Cloth diapering has changed so much from when I was a kid. No longer do you have to deal with folding & pinning ugly, stained, white pieces of cloth. Today's diapers are downright cute!

When Natalie was born, I put aside the cloth diapers for awhile. It took me awhile to find my groove, with two little kids instead of one, and I just decided I didn't have time to do an extra load of laundry every day. Now I'm getting into a good routine, and I'm going back to cloth. Both kids are in the same size cloth diaper, however, so I knew I would need to get a few more. Besides, they sell a lot of different patterns, so I wanted to buy a couple of cute little girlie ones for Natalie. I so love dressing up my little girl.

Last night I logged onto http://www.weebunzdiapers.com/, and they're having a great end-of-year clearance right now on their Fuzzi Bunz (my diaper of choice). Medium has been pretty well picked-over since it's the most popular size, but I got 5 cute little diapers for $15 apiece with free shipping. Not a bad deal at all!

No comments: