Friday, January 18, 2008

Natalie was hungry as soon as we got home from daycare, so I went straight into the living room to nurse her, leaving my things in the kitchen. Before too long, I noticed Sammy nonchalantly heading for the kitchen. As soon as I heard the telltale sound of my purse zipper opening, I knew what he was into. “Sammy, what are you doing in my purse?” I said. He answered, “Looking at something.” “Okay…what are you looking at?” I said. He waited a moment before answering “Suckers.” Apparently he’d found the stash of suckers I keep in my purse for emergency bribes. I’m so glad he hasn’t yet figured out that telling the truth is not always in his best interests.

I can see that the two of them are going to be such trouble someday. They’re already becoming co-conspirators. I was doing the dishes, while Natalie was strapped in her high chair, and Sammy was at the kitchen table having a snack. When I heard Natalie start laughing, I turned around to see Sammy crawling on the table, trying to reach something I’d left there earlier. I told him to get down, and he did, but a second later he was again slyly trying to reach the desired toy while Natalie laughed him on. And there is nothing that boy likes better than attention, so the rest of the night he was playing up to her, trying to get her to laugh while she willingly obliged.

No comments: