Friday, January 11, 2008

Elmo Says It's Time to Par-tay!

Today when I picked the kids up from daycare, Sammy wanted me to bend over with Natalie so he could tell her "hi". Then he gave her a big hug and a kiss. Awwww. (They go to the same daycare, but they're in different rooms, so they don't really see each other during the time they're there.)

I just finished the Elmo cake for Sammy's party tomorrow. I thought it turned out okay, considering I went into this project on a wing and a prayer!


I know a couple of you might be interested in how I did this, and everyone else can skip this next part. I started with a regular strawberry cake, and used 1 1/2 tubes of red premade Wilton's icing (using the smallest circular tip) to squiggle lines all over it. I'd normally make the icing from scratch, but the kids insist on being fed & changed once in awhile, so I have to cut corners where I can. Then I found a recipe for fondant, and made up a batch. I only used about 1/4 of it, so unless I was covering an entire cake with fondant, I wouldn't do a whole batch next time. Then it was just a matter of dying the fondant, rolling it out, and cutting the shapes. I couldn't find a pattern for the shapes on the internet, so I just eyeballed it. It's not perfect, but to a 2-year-old's eye, I'm sure it will be just fine.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Becky! Nice blog, you sneaky girl. Thanks for the link!

And gorgeous cake!!

Colleen said...

Oh my WORD, you made your own fondant icing?!? You really are super mom! =)

Love the blog and photos!