Thursday, January 10, 2008

Sammy's big day

Both kids have colds right now. It's a mild-mannered virus by day, but at night it rears its ugly head and results in lots of coughing. I spent the hours of 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. rocking and administering medicine. I'm not even sick, and this cold is kicking my butt.

Yesterday was a lot of fun. I took the day off from work, and we trekked down to the Mall of America. Sammy was impressed by the sharks and the big turtles at Underwater World. Then we went to the amusement-park-formerly-known-as-Camp-Snoopy to do rides. I couldn't believe it when Sammy stopped underneath the ferris wheel, looked up in awe, and said, "Look, Mommy!" After some discussion, Ron took him on the ride. I really thought Sammy would get up there and freak out.

Is this really my kid?

That figures. He's terrified of Santa Claus, but being 50 feet in the air doesn't phase him one bit.

All aboard!

Sammy eats his birthday lunch of ketchup, with french fries on the side

Of course, Natalie was with too!

Sammy didn't want to miss one moment of his special day, so he refused to nap. That made for some interesting moments. Such as when Grandma Anita called to wish him a happy birthday. I tried to hold the phone up to his ear, and he shrieked, "No! No!" I took the phone back and he started sobbing, "Talka Grandma! Talka Grandma!" So I offered him the phone again, and he pushed it away, shrieking "No! No!" Again, I took the phone back and he sobbed, "Talka Grandma! Talka Grandma!" Ah, there's nothing quite like toddler logic.

Then we had chocolate birthday cake, and opened presents. He instantly fell in love with his Elmo karaoke machine.
Because you just can't hear "Elmo's World" too many times.

In other news, Sammy was so proud of the polar bear he and Daddy made a couple of weeks ago.

Unfortunately for the bear and Sammy, it's been quite warm here lately. Today when we got home, Sammy announced the polar bear was "broken".
My eyes! My EYES!!!

No comments: