Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The PROTECT Our Children Act

I happened to catch an episode of Oprah last week about online child predators. It was absolutely horrifying, and I had to skip through most of the first fifteen minutes because I was getting sick to my stomach.

However, I did watch enough of the show to gather that only 2% of all leads are followed up on due to lack of resources. Law enforcement is grossly underfunded in this area.

There's currently a bill before the Senate - Bill 1738, the PROTECT Our Children Act - that would provide a lot more money and resources to law enforcement. I believe this is up for vote this Friday, September 26th.

Oprah's website makes it easy to contact your senators to show your support of this bill. She not only has the link to find contact information, but also a sample letter that you can modify as you see fit. Here's the exact link: http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahshow/20080911_tows_predators

It seems like such a small thing to do, but there's strength in numbers. Let's email our senators and then pray that this bill passes.

No comments: