Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Halloween

We live too far out of the city to trick-or-treat in our neighborhood. I'd have to drive the kids from house to house, and somehow, that doesn't feel like trick-or-treating to me. The last couple of years, I've met up with my aunt and my cousins for TOT'ing in their neighborhood. My aunt and I enjoy chatting while the kids beg for candy.

I'd rehearsed with Sammy for a couple of days beforehand. "What do you say when they open the door?" and then, "What do you say when they give you candy?" The first few houses, he did pretty well. Then he forgot his manners and instead of saying "thank you" he said "More, more!" I quickly corrected him, and we only had one more incident of a forgotten "thank you". I think it went pretty well, overall. And the weather was beautiful, probably the only time I remember Halloween being warm. Most years, it's hard to figure out what kids are supposed to be dressed as, since they are usually bundled up in their bulky winter jackets and stocking caps.

With no further ado, the kids in their costumed glory:

Eeek! It's a skunk!


Natalie was about to cry in this one, because I stepped back to take a picture and she thought I was going to leave her.


I made that skunk costume for Sammy on his first Halloween. I haven't had time to sew another costume since, but I have high hopes for next year.


I should dig out a picture of Sammy wearing this costume for a side-by-side comparison. Natalie looks so much like him in this shot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the skunk costume, what a great job- do you have a sewing machine? Very impressive! Ever consider making your own cloth diapers?

I'm getting ready to get a sewing machine (hopefully for christmas if we can afford it!) I would like to make a few diapers for Garrett.

Anyway, both of your little ones look absolutely adorable!

Becky said...

I do have a sewing machine, and have thought about trying to make diapers, but it seems like the PUL (the waterproof outer layer) would be a pain to sew. If you end up trying to make some diapers, you'll have to let me know how it works out!