Monday, October 13, 2008

Helping Out

Natalie was still awake last night when I was taking my shower. I just started lathering my hair when she pulled the curtain back, spotted the water dripping from the spigot and dipped her hands into it. Then I heard her head out of the bathroom and down the hall.

Thirty seconds later, Natalie was back. She repeated her strange ritual. Thirty seconds later, again. And again. When I got out of the shower, she came into the bathroom, opened the washcloth drawer and took one out, then gestured at the faucet and said "eh, eh, eh". I asked her if she wanted me to turn it on, and she nodded her head "yes". She put the washcloth under the stream of water, looked at it and apparently decided it wasn't wet enough, and put it under the water again. When she was finally satisfied that there was enough water on the washcloth, she headed out of the bathroom and down the hall.

By this time, I was really curious so I quietly followed her. What I saw in the living room was this: The TV was tuned in to a football game. Ron was lying on the floor, staring at the TV. And Natalie was rubbing the washcloth into Ron's already-damp hair.

I guess she had decided he needed his hair washed, and was accomplishing the job slowly but surely. She must have known that Ron starts his new job today, and wanted him to look good for his first day.

2 comments:

C. Beth said...

Oh, wow, that is so funny, and cute. It reminds me of when we were kids.... My dad had a really "helmet hair" type 'do at the time, always looked perfect. Occasionally he would let us sit there and totally mess it up, and it was such a great! Although with all the Aqua Net he had in that hair, it must've hurt to have little hands messing with it. Hmm...I think I might smell a blog post of my own coming on....

Becky said...

Haha, Beth. What a visual! Sounds like your dad was a very patient man!