Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Heavy Discussions

We had lay-offs at work yesterday.  (I know, not a good idea to blog about work - but since that statement probably pertains to about 90 percent of companies in this country, I don't think I'm giving away any state secrets.)  We'd known it was coming since before Thanksgiving, but yesterday is when the announcements were made as to how many, and who exactly, would be let go.


One of the people let go is someone that I've worked closely with over the years.  I've become very fond of her and was sick when I found out that she had lost her job.  Last night, I was sitting with the kids as they were watching a cartoon, and I had time to think.  A couple of silent tears rolled down my cheeks, and unfortunately, Sammy chose that time to turn around to tell me something.

He was very concerned, and wanted to know where I was hurt.  I had to explain to him that I was sad, and of course he wanted to know why.  I thought quickly, trying to put it in terms that a 3-year-old could understand.  I decided to tell him that a friend of mine wasn't going to be able to come to work with me anymore.  He pushed it still further, asking "Why?" so I told him that my company didn't have enough money to pay her.

He thought for a minute, then got a big grin on his face as he came up with the solution.  "They'll just have to buy some more money!" he said and, having solved the problem, turned back to his TV show.  Gotta love the innocence of childhood.

Later I got to thinking and realized that our government thinks a lot like a preschooler.  No more money?  Just print some more up!  Add it to our debt!  

However, politicians thinking this way is not nearly as cute as when it's a preschooler.

3 comments:

Special K said...

Cute story.

So sorry for you to lose your friend and for your company to do layoffs. Most companies I know are doing the same, mine and my husband's included. And right now we have a 10% paycut which is not fun either.

It's hard to keep it together around the kids sometimes, but I think it also shows them that we are human when we do burst into tears.

Becky said...

Special K - ouch to the 10% pay cut. That really stinks. We won't be getting raises next year from my employer, but that's not as bad as taking a pay cut or losing my job, so I'm going to count my blessings and hope the economy turns soon.

C. Beth said...

Wow--great insight in this post! I agree, when our politicians act like preschoolers it is distinctly un-cute.