Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Internet Dangers

One of the many things I love about having an almost-3-year-old are the endless questions. I'm not even being sarcastic when I say this - I really do love hearing the things Sam comes up with these days! One day, while watching Finding Nemo, he asked me how a fish sleeps. I think I answered that one to his satisfaction, but when the next day he asked me what a flamingo says, I was stumped. So we went to the internet to find out.

I decided to start with YouTube, and typed in the keyword "flamingo". Surprisingly, there weren't a lot of options and as I glanced down the list, I saw a title that was something about a baboon and a flamingo. Okay, that sounded like it might actually have an actual flamingo in it, unlike most of the other videos that came up.

So, that particular clip starts out with a baboon watching a huge flock of flamingos. Maybe you see where this is going, but I was oblivious and when the baboon attacked and ate a flamingo, I almost knocked over the kids in my mad scramble for the "pause" button.

You know, I don't really think Sam understood what was happening, though (or maybe he's a future hunter?), because he keeps asking to watch the flamingo video again. Luckily, I was able to find another 7-minute video of a trip to the zoo that has a brief cameo of a flamingo in it, and that satisfied him.

I'll consider that his first lesson on *cue the music* "the cirrrrrrcle of liiiiiiiife...and it moves us allllllll...."

2 comments:

Special K said...

You Tube is wonderful and dangerous! I once looked for clips of Elmo. They start out with teh elmo song and then wham! Cut to a Tickle Me Elmo on fire!

I know now to pause the movie before it plays and then scroll through the description and comments.

Crazy story!

Becky said...

Oh, no - poor Elmo! Thanks for the tip on the fiery Elmo - my kids love Elmo, and I'd hate for them to have to witness that if they ever ask to watch an Elmo clip on YouTube. They'd be traumatized for life! :-)