Monday, June 29, 2009

Goodbye, Old Friend

I remember being in my second trimester of my pregnancy with Sam, and finally allowing myself to get excited about the baby it looked like I was going to end up with in a few short months.  Ron and I set up the crib, then tried to move it into the baby's room, only to find it didn't fit through the doorway.  We had to dismantle it, move the parts into the room, and "re-mantle" it.
 
For the next few months, I used the crib for storing all the various baby accoutrements we received as gifts and hand-me-downs.  I started to wonder where I was going to store all that stuff when I had to put the actual baby in the crib.
 
Then Sam was born, and slept in the crib for the next 2 years.  (I use the word "slept" in the loosest sense of the term, since sleep has never been one of his favorite pursuits.)
 
Then Natalie was born, and after the first couple of months that she spent in a bassinet in our bedroom, she moved to the crib.  Unlike Sam, she actually SLEPT in the crib for the next year and a half.
 
This weekend, I dismantled the crib and moved it downstairs, where it will live for the next few weeks few months until I get around to posting an ad on Craigslist.
 
Goodbye, crib.  It's been nice knowing ya.
 
*sniff, sniff*  Now I officially have no more babies in my house.
 

5 comments:

Elaine's Semi-Homemade Life said...

What a huge milestone! I can't imagine getting there... but it'll be here before I know it, I'm sure! Thanks for your comment on my breast cancer post... best wishes to your grandmother!!

C. Beth said...

Aww--that's bittersweet but also exciting!

Special K said...

Awwww....I felt the same way. In the same weekend we emptied the closet of extra pull-ups, changing pad, baby spitup nursery blankets,crib toys, and then took down the actual crib and moved a toddler bed in. My baby is all growed up as well, and it's a sad feeling!

C. Beth said...

Hi, Becky! I have a question about your very helpful comment from my blog post today. Can you please e-mail me at cbethblog (at) gmail (dot) com? Thanks!

Tabitha said...

Serious I feel what you are going through. When we moved into our new house we set up toddler bed. No more cribs for us either at least not for a while. See I can not even commit here. I have baby fever BAD!