Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It's been a busy few days, with a weekend trip up north to my parents' house, and yesterday spent at the state fair. I'll write more about that later, but for today, just a brief story.

Last night, I needed to make a quick trip to Target for a couple of items. I had some extra time, and Ron was home, so I decided to leave Natalie at home with Ron and ride the bike to the store with Sammy in the bike trailer.

I was amazed at how well Sammy did on the half-hour ride. Normally, he gets bored and cranky at being forced to sit still for so long, but I think the bribes treats I packed helped out a lot in combatting his boredom.

I ended up buying a box of fresh peaches in addition to the things I had gone for. It was a tight squeeze to get everything into the bike trailer, but I managed by putting the box of peaches on the bottom, and stacking everything else on top. I warned Sammy that he wasn't to touch anything, or we'd end up losing some of our things on the road.

The temptation was too much to resist, though, and when we were almost home, he located the peaches (he gets credit for holding some of our things on his lap, rather than knocking them off the trailer, though). He had one peach clutched in his hand, and I was worried he'd decide to toss it but decided it was worth losing one peach if it meant we'd get home in the next few minutes. Then I heard him start arguing with an invisible someone. "That's my peach," he said. "No, it's my peach," he argued. "It's yours." "No, it's yours."

Looks like he won the argument, though, because when we pulled in the driveway, the peach was half gone and his shirt and hands were dripping with fresh peach juice.

Good thing I didn't buy any cookies.

1 comment:

Mommy Vern said...

At least he has a healthy imagination and appetite!! :) Good to have you back!